Cannabidiol (CBD) is getting popular these days in the health and wellness industry. With its rise, most people consider mixing this with almost every beverage available. Some bars are mixing it with other cocktail offerings, while some are selling CBS-infused beers.
No matter what kind of alcoholic beverages, questions mixing CBD oil and alcohol is still present. But before heading to that, let’s take a look at what CBD is all about.
What is Cannabidiol?
Cannabidiol is a compound that is naturally occurred in the cannabis plant. Compared to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the known active ingredient in the plant, CBD doesn’t have any psychoactive properties. It means it doesn’t have any “high” effects, unlike in using marijuana.
As it gets extracted from the cannabis plant, CBD is mixed with carrier oils like coconut, olive, palm, or helm oils. Moreover, it helps in managing pain, improving skin health, and reducing anxiety.
Nowadays, CBD is now available in a variety of forms like capsules, food products, sprays, and tinctures, and for your help to how to make Cannabis oil.
Effects of the Combination of CBD and Alcohol
CBD oil and alcohol may intensify their respective effects
Alcoholic beverages are known for their ability to provide relaxation and calmness. Incidentally, research has shown that CBD has the same effect. With this, taking CBD oil and alcohol can result in amplified calming effects. It can cause increased sleepiness and even the feeling of being sedated.
In addition, there are chances that these effects can even intensify. It results in significant changes in a person’s behavior and mood. These effects can be both strong and long-lasting as well.
According to neurology and biochemistry professor James Giordano, drinking CBD and alcohol separately but within four to eight hours in one day has the same effects. For instance, if someone had an alcoholic drink before dinner and CBD before going to bed, CBD’s effects amplify.
CBD oil can protect a person against alcohol’s effects
On the lighter side, some research showed that mixing CBD oil and alcohol can help a person deal with alcohol’s effects. Some of these are the following:
- It can prevent cell damage and disease- One of the effects of alcohol consumption is damage in the body cells. There are animal studies that showed that CBD might protect the body against cell damage because of alcohol.
- It can be a useful therapy against alcohol addiction- Some researchers believe that CBD can treat alcoholic disorders. It is because CBD can minimize addiction and withdrawal symptoms.
- The combination of CBD oil and alcohol can lower blood alcohol levels. However, there isn’t any significant effect on motor coordination and cognition.
- CBD (when applied topically) and alcohol combination can lessen alcohol-induced degeneration.
- Ingesting CBD thirty minutes before consuming alcoholic beverages can also lessen alcohol-induced liver damage. This is because, unlike alcohol alone, CBD can degenerate damaging cells.
Is CBD and alcohol consumption a Good Idea?
Despite some of the promising human and animal researches about the effects of taking CBD oil and alcohol, it still varies on every individual due to different factors like their health background and the capacity to take alcohol. For those who are still unsure what will be its effects on themselves, this CBD oil and alcohol may not be a good idea. Also, sticking to smaller amounts of this combination is another good idea as well.